Stress fractures, also known as hairline fractures, are very small cracks in a bone that often result from repetitive training or increasing the intensity or amount of an activity too quickly.
They can also develop from everyday use when bones are weakened by osteoporosis. While stress fractures can occur anywhere there is overuse, injuries like these are often found in the foot, heel, hip, lower back and shin.
Common symptoms of a stress fracture include:
- Pain, swelling or aching at the point of injury
- Tenderness when touched on the bone
- Pain that resolves when at rest and returns when activity is resumed
Common treatments include:
Treatment for a stress fracture begins with rest, ice, compression and elevations of the affected area. Other non-surgical options include:
- Over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen to control pain
- Assistive devices like crutches or a cane
- Bracing or protective footwear to decrease pressure on the fracture
- Casting to hold the fracture in place
Why Choose NGPG?
At NGPG Sports Medicine, our priority is to help you continue doing the things you enjoy – whether that’s playing in a competitive environment, improving your physical performance, or simply enjoying activities of daily living without pain. Our orthopedic team takes time to know you, your activity levels and the cause of your specific injury to develop a customized treatment plan specific to your unique circumstances. We use the least invasive options where possible to help you find lasting relief.
For questions, more information or to schedule an appointment, please call& us at 770-848-6190 or complete our quick online form.