Pre-operative Screening Starts with Thorough Exam Documenting
- Full medical history (including physical examination by your surgeon)
- Number of years trying conservative therapy
- Formal weight loss programs attempted
- Thorough diet history, eating habits and eating tendencies
- Previous use of diet medications
- Level of routine exercise or ability for physical activity
After the initial evaluation by your surgeon, all potential patients will meet with a registered dietitian. Emphasis on the post-operative bariatric diet is of the utmost importance – not only in what you eat, but also how to eat, when to eat and why not to eat certain things.
Another necessary consult involves a psychological evaluation by a trained, licensed professional. During this consultation, a unique history is obtained to ensure that potential patients have the capacity to understand fully the magnitude of commitment that bariatric surgery requires for a good outcome.
In addition, depending on active medical issues and current health related complaints, other consultants will help in evaluating patients including:
- Endocrinology consult
- Exercise physiologist
Potential Pre-operative Procedures
In the work-up for bariatric surgery, all patients with symptoms of reflux or undergoing gastric bypass will have an upper endoscopy. Generally, colonoscopies are not routinely performed, but are done if necessary from a general surgical standpoint.
Education on Bariatrics
Knowledge is the key to a successful outcome in bariatric surgery. All potential patients knowledge of bariatric surgery will be demonstrated by a pre-operative knowledge based exam. In order to assure that patients fully understand all the details of the surgery, risks, benefits, post-operative diet and behavioral modifications, they must have a passing score on this exam in order to proceed with any surgery. Educational resources to prepare for the exam include:
- FREE surgical weight loss seminars (mandatory for all patients)
- Optional lectures provided by the bariatric coordinator
- Patient Manual
- Additional materials are available upon request