Our multidisciplinary approach to surgical weight loss is designed to help you achieve a successful outcome and improve your overall health.
Northeast Georgia Physicians Group offers an experienced team of bariatric specialists that can help you determine if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery and which procedure is best for you. We specialize in minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery, which allows smaller incisions, shorter recovery and less pain. Through our pre-operative education and evaluation, we help each patient understand the entire process and what will set them up for long-term success.
Advantages of Sleeve Gastrectomy
- There are no anastomoses or intestinal bypasses.
- The procedure is performed quicker than a gastric bypass.
- Reported lower complication rates.
- Comparable weight loss results as the gastric bypass.
- Used as a staged procedure for high-risk patients or the morbid obese with a BMI > 60.
- Option for patients with a history of inflammatory bowel disease or chronic steroid.
- Improves or resolves many obesity related medical issues.
- Mineral and vitamin deficiencies are rare compared to gastric bypass and biliopancreatico duodenal switch.
To request an appointment, call:
How is the Sleeve Gastrectomy performed?
The sleeve gastrectomy is a laparoscopic procedure in which two-thirds of the stomach is extracted. This leaves the stomach in a tube or sleeve shape which limits the amount of food that can be eaten in one setting and allows the patient to feel satisfied sooner. No other part of the digestive system is affected, so it allows for normal digestion and absorption.
An important part of the success in this procedure is a decrease in the ghrelin hormone. This hormone sends messages to the brain to signal starvation mode, and thus causes a person to feel hungry. By decreasing this hormone, you will feel hungry less.
The first step in your surgical weight loss journey is to watch one of our online educational seminars or register to attend an in-person seminar hosted by the Bariatric team at NGPG. To learn more about your weight loss options and to choose your next step towards a healthier you, visit our registration page by clicking the button below.
Would you like more information about gastric sleeve surgery, the cost and your options? Call 770-219-9200 or fill out our quick contact form.